Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The work table

This is what we went to the auction last week to buy. We had no clue what it would bring, and really thought it would be out of my price range. Surprisingly there was only one other bidder , so we performed a little happy dance when I was the high bidder. Then we realized why, nobody wanted to have to load it. This sucker is heavy! Luckily I brought my muscle to help me, otherwise known as Mom and Dad. It turned out it's not nearly as heavy as we thought.
The former owner used it as a work table, but I'm going to use it as a checkout counter until it sells. I think it would make a beautiful bar. Usually I paint all the furniture I buy to refinish, but I think my Dad would have cried real tears if I had done that with this piece. The top is a solid slab of pine, 2 1/2 inches by 8 foot 4 inches. The ends are also slabs. I pulled out my favorite stain, Early American and went to town. While I was working, my Dad kept reenacting bar scenes from old Western movies. I think the fumes from the stain were getting to him. So if I can tear him away from it, this will eventually end up in the shop in Wimberley.

9 comments:

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Love this, what a fabulous bar it would be. Good luck on your new adventure!

Kitty said...

Wow! that is absolutely gorgeous! You hit the jackpot!

Gail said...

Oh how I love auctions. You scored on this piece for sure. Good luck to you in starting a new business. Thanks for your visit and leaving a comment. Hope to see you again soon!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

The stain made a huge difference on this piece. It still looks rustic, but a little more refined. I love it when no one else bids on an item at an auction, but I also understand the moment when you realize you have to load it in your car. Great piece. Thanks for sharing.

luciwallis said...

I love this it is wonderful~ Enjoyed visitng your blog!
Bristol

Attic Rat said...

That is a unique and fabulous piece! The stain you added really sets it off.

Happy hunting,
Teresa

Cheryl said...

And so, there you are busy crafting in TX - and me, ready for the office...

Unknown said...

http://xcapablex.blogspot.com/
welcome ! : )

امير الفتلاوي said...

العاب سيارات


العاب باربي
العاب طبخ
العاب تلبيس بنات